An Indeximate cable health check report – fundamentally does exactly that – it quantifies the health of the cable and state of the environment at all points along the cable – from end to end.
At each point we measure a series of risk factors and quantify the presence and risk of each at EVERY point and answer some important questions along the way:
- Cable Weakness / Degradation / Integrity (on armour, lead sheath or FO sub-cable)
- Exposure of cable
- Is abrasion present?
- Is the cable in free span
- What is the depth of burial
- How much fatigue is the cable being exposed to?
- Is shipping present in the vicinity? What class of vessel? Is AIS turned off?
We can also report on cetacean activity, lighting, thunder & wave height – although these are more use to the operational community.
Why do this?
- Understand and quantify degradation in advance of failure
- Improve ROV survey by targeting activity on known regions / reduce level of inspection / decrease costs
- Plan remediation activity
- In the worst case inform on planned replacement and optimise replacement time
- Optimise insurance exposure
Ultimately we quantify risk and reduce the chance of failure
A health check only takes ~ 1 week to conduct – we collect a long recording of cable behaviour then turn that round into an output. If concerns are visible, this can rapidly be turned into semi-permanent monitoring to profile degradation.